Saturday, September 11, 2004

Belated TV Review: Joey

Let me sum up the series premier of NBC's new smash-hit comedy Joey in one word: "Disappointing."

No summary is needed because everybody knows who Joey is and why he has his own show. So, why is it disappointing? Because it didn't suck. I was looking forward to watching what was sure to be the most unintentionally funny thing on TV this decade - and instead I found myself actually laughing out loud - twice!

I felt betrayed. How could they do this to me? I was hoping to watch this show, make fun of it, and then debate about whether it will last 3 or 4 episodes. But no, they have to make the show tolerable, and most likely good enough to survive. Maybe even - and I kid you not - thrive in the post-Friends market.

Of course the character of Joey was going to be fine; LeBlanc could probably ace his stuff if he came to the set after a three day cocaine binge. I was expecting horrible supporting characters and a heavy reliance on references to the old friends - but it didn't happen!

Sigh.

It's by no means a great show, but it doesn't suck.

And that pisses me off.

3 comments:

Scooter said...

This is by no means as good as your review of Serendipity or Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I expect something more interesting after you go to see National Treasure.

klund said...

That actually looks pretty good. You realize that Boromir is in it, don't you?

BiggTree said...

I missed last night's episode of "Joey". Was it any good? I have missed both shows so far. I keep meaning to watch, but I can't seem to get my lazy but onto the couch in front of the tube before 8:30pm. Maybe when my kids are older, I can let them fend for myself. Maybe I should tape it. I used to tape friends, but that was "Must See TV". Joey doesn't qualify yet, as I haven't gotten hooked yet. This does bode well for Mr. Tribiani tho. I didn't watch the first 3 seasons of friends.